Bad winds again on Friday did the work of taking down the (what I thought was) last dead tree...
Turned out that there was one more dead tree hiding behind it. So, I guess at some point we'll be taking that one down. Another wind storm going on right now so it may not be standing tomorrow.
The beds are now in final prep and growing has commenced. A few things are going to be different this year. I'm not going to use any store-bought mulch, as it has become a problem getting pure, clean mulch. Almost every farming magazine I read now is warning about the stuff ruining gardens because of the chemicals in it. The weed killer toxins go through animals without bothering them, but their waste makes for toxic mulch. Since nobody certifies the mulches as chemical free, you don't know what you're getting.
Because of this, I've decided to just use non-GMO and organic fertilizers, along with my own eggshells and assorted soil boosters. I'm hoping this keeps the bad chemicals out of our food. I may try composting my own mulch again, but the chickens pretty-much make that a "no-go."
|... using my own coffee grounds in the bed...|
|... working in the stuff...|
|... getting the seeping hoses into the beds...|
|... hoses in and checked for leaks...|
The placement of the new cucumber area and the tomatoes is done. I had one cucumber support and decided to use the old tomato cages for some more supports. The area to the left with the heavy T-posts is now ready for tomatoes. Added in water cups to keep water off the plants.
If things go as planned, the tomatoes and cucumbers will be off to a good start. I guess I'll know soon enough if these supports are up to the task.
I do have some lettuce already coming up so I've started a second planting there. I also may have a green bean plant sprouting... could be a weed too, so I'm keeping an eye on it.