Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Cloudy, with a chance of more clouds...

Things are starting to slow down in the garden.  I think I might have to cover one of my tomato plants soon.   That's the only conclusion I have for leaves in the extremities starting to yellow.  They are getting steady water, but I have noticed it probably need more sunlight, or heat.  The monsoon has kept them under cloud cover for weeks.  I guess some Internet perusing is in order.  My Roma tomatoes are starting their blush to red, finally.  Was beginning to wonder about them.

Had to pull a few of my green bean bushes.  They've also been looking bad lately, with holes through most leaves from the rains and hail.  Production has dropped off markedly.  Cloud cover the culprit there, too?   Put winter spinach in their places.

September 1st, my carrots were supposedly at their harvest date so I couldn't wait to see what they had done.  The packet was for Fingerling Carrots.  They seem much longer than I'd consider finger-sized.  But, they turned out very well.  

I pulled only these four and will need to decide how to eat them.   I LOVE egg salad sandwiches with carrot sticks.   I like them cooked as a side with many meats.  I also like stews with chunks of carrots.    Decisions... decisions. 


Finally decided on what to do with the first zucchini to make it to our table.  Steve loves pan fried chicken thighs, so I went with that idea and added a Pinterest recipe for zucchini in Parmesan cheese and panko crumbs.   I didn't follow the recipe and paid the price.  I put the slices on a rack over a cookie sheet in the oven, instead of on tinfoil.  They stuck, badly.  Duh!!  Next time they'll be done the tinfoil way.  Tasty little rounds, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment