Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Straw bale... going... going.....gone!!!!

The straw bale on the raised bed has finally collapsed.  I guess I knew it was going to happen soon, but I kept waiting for the zucchini on it to finally stop production.  

Then, as I looked at that zucchini plant, touching the dirt as it slowly fell over, I asked myself.......  "Self, you are hating zucchini now, so what are you waiting for?" Right!  

And, Self said "that plant will NEVER stop producing on it's own.  You must KILL it to stop it."  So, I did.  Chopped it in half and pulled it from the bale.  Oh, yes, I did! 

It fought back and ALMOST succeeded in taking me down with it.  But,  I PREVAILED.



Steve then pulled the straw bale from the bed for me.  It headed to the compost area to finish it's nurturing job by becoming compost for next year.

I'm a little sorry to see it go, as it did a lot for us.  It grew a pumpkin plant with "1" pumpkin for us. It started, but never finished, green onions.  It produced "3" radishes for us.   Huh!!

OK, it grew a huge zucchini for us.   Which we appreciated, until we didn't.  HUH!  Again!

So, what did it really do for us?  Misery... it brought us misery.   Naw!   
It taught me a gardening lesson, which is always a good thing.  I have learned not to use a straw bale, on the raised beds, with zucchini in it.  
             (Sounds a little like the Clue game.  Col. Mustard, in the kitchen, with a knife)



We celebrated with a zucchini/carrot/garlic stir-fry.  So long, old friend.  We knew you well.  It'll be the last zucchini for a longgggg while.  

When we are finally into deep winter, we'll eat your ilk again.  
In a stew.  In a soup.  Not a shoe, or the coop.  

OK, sorry.  Bad.... again.  Low blood sugar from writing, not eating....


No comments:

Post a Comment