Thursday, November 6, 2014

Darn it, I invited a jinx........

OK, YES!!!   I jinxed my tomatoes by saying they were doing well in the greenhouse.  Don't you  just hate jinxes?   After almost 60 years on earth you'd think I'd have thought about that before getting so excited that the tomatoes were doing well.

Remember, it's been very cold here, usually around 18-21 degrees at night.  The greenhouse has been my last hope for tomatoes during the winter.  I thought I was doing reasonably well in shepherding the plants through the night.  Then, I forgot to close the roof vents just ONE night and.....


here they are.  Mostly wilted, but a few unharmed branches on 2 of the plants.   I'm hoping I can save some part of the plants.   I really cannot believe my luck in this matter.  Or, I really cannot believe I'm so forgetful.  I will work on that, if I get these plants through this.

The strawberry plants have now left the greenhouse and are ensconced in the garage under a tarp, where I hope they hibernate until spring.   They seem to have loved the greenhouse and were actually putting out flowers and strawberries since they moved from the straw bales.

The chicken coop has now been insulated better....



but it's not stylish.  We used extra insulation bought for the water meter box and bungeed it over the windows and door opening.   I'm sure the wind coming through the openings was cold at night.  Like I said, not pretty, but the girls seem to like it.  I check on them and they are always inside the coop.  Of course, they will come out if I have treats, or if the sun reaches their run.   The new coop cover has made it necessary to move the solar panel for the night light so it gets more sun.   I also put the light inside the coop as the light wasn't shining through the door anymore.

Here, I won't say anything about the chickens loving the warmth of their coop and how great they are doing.

Mustn't invite another jinx to stop by..........  


No comments:

Post a Comment