Saturday, January 10, 2015

Finally, my butternut squash gets eaten...

I was feeling very sentimental about the only, lonely, squash to make it out of the garden.   I would look at it sitting on the counter and I couldn't eat it.  Until now.

I was cooking a big ham and there's nothing like baked beans and squash with ham.  So, what to do?  It wasn't very big, so I had to send Steve out to see if there were any more in one of our small markets.  He found 2, so I was ready to get started.


I had Steve help me get the knife through the hard skins of the squash.   I also felt some pride as my squash was the largest of the 3.  Crazy, I know.  


I lined them up and felt another surge of pride.  My squash was so much darker and smelt so much better.   I've got to stop this, but it has me more excited to try squash next spring.

Steamed the cleaned squash in a water bath and it turned out so well.  Add a little butter, brown sugar and a pinch of salt and it's heaven in a bowl.


The cooked skins and the seeds were given to the girls, who promptly jumped into the bowl and scattered it all over.  I think they liked it just as much as we did.

Yes, definitely growing more squash this year.



No comments:

Post a Comment