Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Plants... a little too persnickety...

Persnickety: finicky, picky, fastidious, fussy, difficult to please....

Don't you just love the word persnickety?  As I walked out to the garden, determined to get something done, the plants growing all over the ground made me think of persnickety-ness....

I'm probably a month away from growing anything edible.  It seems plants you want to eat are persnickety about the temperatures and the soil they'll grow in. I guess they are the prima donnas of the plant world.  Must stay warm at night and must get 8 hours of sun; then they'll decide to show up!

Weeds, however, are not persnickety at all!  They are now everywhere and enjoying the freezing at night with no problems.  They slough every bad situation off like teflon.  HATE THEM!!


I have my favorite way of getting rid of the weeds.  Skechers tennis shoes.  OK, any thick-soled tennis shoe would do, I just happen to LOVE Skechers.  I keep this old pair for the garden, only.  

Now, you need to know about forest soil before I go any farther.  It's thin and powdery, and inches down there are rocks because we are on the side of a mountain.  But, the soil is very bad, usually only growing pines and scrub bushes.  It needs amending to do much else.  WEEDS, however, seem to revel in it.

So, the thick sole of the tennis shoe is just perfect at dislodging the weeds, without much effort.  Kick sideways at the base of the weed and it flies out of the thin soil...



where I leave them until I feel like raking.  This was morning in the garden.



Looked over the hoops deciding what needed to be done, first.  Noticed this hole in the carrot bed.  It seems like a squirrel had found a way under the hoop and was looking for carrots.  His luck had run out...



Flipped the hoops off of the garden to see what had transpired and yes, he'd (she'd) gnawed at a desiccated carrot.  Not much lunch there.  Got to work with a rake and worked the dirt until smooth.



While the hoops are upside-down, I retie the netting to them and check for holes.  Found the one where the squirrel got in.  Everything is buttoned up and holes eliminated.  



Charging the soil was next.  Steve was nice enough to cut and dump the manure bags onto the beds, which was worked in by yours truly.



He even started on making a screen for me to get some of the compost on top of the beds.  We'll see what the design is soon, I hope.  He headed off to the garage to tinker with his masterpiece.



The manure has been watered into the beds and the compost pile turned.  
I'm tired and thinking of sitting for a short while...



which became a short nap.  What a mess we'd left.  Imagine my surprise when I wake and notice Ziva is sneaking a bite of the manure.  Actually, no surprise at all.  We had this problem last year.  I guess she'll need to be "86'd" from the garden until fall.

Now, come on warm weather... we're ready...


No comments:

Post a Comment