Monday, May 11, 2015

Can I take Mother Nature out?...

Up in the mountains, you're damned if you do, and damned if you don't. 
PLANT, that is!!

Having to decide on when you can plant is enough to make anyone crazy, or fill them with depression.

In the best of years, we have 3 months to get seeds to germinate, grow and, hopefully, glean.  Last year, I waited until ALL danger of frost was passed.  I had a lot of my produce freeze in an early September freeze.  This year, I threw caution to the winds and planted before freezes stop.  I made sure to stock up on coverings, just in case.  Just in case.....arrived.



A fluffy, but sparse, snow arrived early Saturday morning.  I did a stomping dance in the house, which scared Ziva.  I had covered everything already coming up, with garden cloth.  A few of the pepper plants got upside-down pots placed over them.  I was putting out anything I had to cover plants.



I checking the garden yesterday, hoping that the plants made it...I was so excited.  Not only did the cloth protect all the plants, but I even had blooms on the strawberries.  A big whew here.



Ziva had a guest show up last night.  My brother, his daughter and their dog, Sophie, showed up.  Ziva completely forgot all about us.  They spent the night play-fighting and lying around together.  It makes me wonder if we should hit the local no-kill shelter for a playmate for Ziva. 

I was taken to dinner for Mother's Day and my birthday, too.  Such fun.  Miss my California family as they are TOO far away.

I hope all the mothers out there had a great Mother's Day, too.  It's a hard job, but very rewarding.


No comments:

Post a Comment