Monday, July 13, 2015

Music in the heavens...

In the middle of some excitement right now.  Thunder has been cracking continuously for a hour and it looks like it'll go on for quite a while.  I used to LIVE for thunder when I was a kid growing up in the valley.  Storms were few, and far between, so they were looked forward to.  

Last night we had rain for hours.  I didn't get out to cover the strawberries. There is only so much I'll do in the dark...in the rain...while it's thundering...  

Today, thunder forced me to get the girls under cover early and hightail it for the house.

Before then, I had a short amount of time to do some garden work.  I found...


that I finally have a zucchini appearing on a plant.  I was beginning to wonder why they were so slow this year (I conveniently had pushed from my memory all the rain at the beginning of the season).  Anyway, my thoughts immediately jumped to zucchini casserole (courtesy of my sister-in-law), stir-fried zucchini and carrots and zuke chips and ranch dressing.  That's a lot of pressure on one little zucchini plant, so I'm keeping those thoughts to myself.


Two of my Big Jim peppers look to be almost ready to harvest.  I put in 6 plants and this is the first to really take off.  The others have a few flowers but have not progressed as well.  I'm not sure how I'll use them, but I'm always ready to try peppers in a Mexican dish.  Mmmmmm.....


My spinach is bolting faster than I can cut it for the girls.  Each day I whack a few to the ground and put them in the coop.  At this pace, I may still be doing it in September.  I'm still pulling the smaller leaves out for grilled chicken salads for dinner, but Steve may revolt and run from the house soon.  

So, I guess I'm finished with Monday's blog post and it's still thundering like crazy out there.  All afternoon ahead of me....

what to do?...




No comments:

Post a Comment