Friday, July 10, 2015

Summer settling in....

Today was a great day in the mountains.  Breezes all day made me feel like getting some work done.  It's an exciting day when I feel like doing ANYTHING and when my back holds out...even better.  

Cleaned the coop and run.  Dumped the "trash" into the compost pile.  Added some arugula flowers and other brush and wetted the whole shebang down. Got out the ol' pitchfork and turned everything over.



I'm feeling some pride in this pile.  It's hard to tell from this picture, but the pile is about 2 feet deep and 6 feet wide.  I think this fall I'll have enough to cover all 3 raised beds and still have some for the troughs.  Of course, this has only taken me 3 years to produce, but that's not bad for 2 retired people and some chickens to accomplish.

Unfortunately, I may be adding some plants to the pile I didn't expect ...



over-watered strawberry plants.  All the downpours lately have resulted in some sad-looking plants.  I wasn't even sure strawberries could be over-watered to this extent, so made my pilgrimage to the internet where, yes, they can die from it.  I compared my plants to pictures of drowned plants and...we have a match.  Who'd 'a thunk it.  I guess I'll now have to add the strawberry beds to my "cover when it rains" list.

Pests are also finding their way into the summer garden... 





and I'm going to have to decide how best to thwart the squirrels on my area of the mountain.  Whether digging sunflower seed hoard holes, or eating my scarlet runner bean leaves, they are NOT a gardener's friend.  The chickens will enjoy the sprouts that are sure to come with all this rain so I can stomach those holes.  I, however, can't stomach the holes in my beans, so I guess it's time I quit admiring the flowers and get the bed covered with netting.  

So, 1 last picture of the beautiful flowering beans and...



under covers they'll go.  If they taste as good as they are looking, these may be the last beans I'll try.  This much beauty in the garden will be hard to match.



No comments:

Post a Comment