Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Try a BELT on for size...

I'm still finding ways to use up my lovely leaf lettuce harvest.  Lately, we seem to be in a BLT frame of mind.  However, our family has always called them BELTS (bacon, egg, lettuce and tomato).  I don't actually know who decided that eggs needed to be on the sammies, but they just don't taste right without them.


This is a picture of one being put together.  It starts with wheat bread and Miracle Whip*.  I've found I can get a lot of lettuce onto them, which I'm hoping kinda negates all the calories from the bacon... Miracle Whip... egg. Ha!

One problem with this masterpiece... I don't have any tomatoes right now, so what could have been a truly magnificent sandwich, is merely, wonderful.  

The two of us are not eating much of the garden produce quickly enough.  Yes, the lettuce goes pretty quickly, but other items seem to get left behind.  I've found out that I might not want to plant as many green onions next year, as,


they are turning into a forest.  You know, I look at them every day, but for some reason I'm not sure of, I don't harvest them.  OK, I have used 2 of them. They do seem to have grown to enormous size, though.  We are almost at leek size.   I thought about giving some to the chickens, but I've read that the eggs will be onion flavored.  

Now, on the chicken front... next blog will be ALL about them and... 

their problems...

our problems....

problems...



*“I have not received, nor expect to receive, any compensation for items mentioned in the blog that I like, or may suggest to the viewers.  The items are just something that works/worked for me.  The Irish Lady.”


No comments:

Post a Comment