Wednesday, September 9, 2015

These chickens will be the death of me...

If my problems with Effie weren't bad enough (nobody has asked for her), another one has decided to lay a "bad" egg each night in the coop while on the roost. By bad, I mean no shell.  Luckily, Steve has found most of them before the chickens rise in the morning and eat them.  Some have split open after the fall, and some that haven't, have become Ziva's breakfast. 

I'm now wondering why this happens after they settle down for the night.  This is new.  No more eggs are being laid in the hollow under the tree.  Every-other-day one is in the nest box.  Three chickens roost on the pole so we don't know who is doing this soft egg.  And, why nightly, not every-other-night.  I lie awake at night contemplating this.  My beauty sleep is starting to suffer.


While walking the driveway by the burn, Steve found this egg.  He wondered if a girl had gotten out, but I noticed it's the wrong color.  For a split second, I wondered if it was thrown at Ziva, but now I believe it's a freebie dropped from some passing raven.  Two houses over, there are free-range chickens and it must've been picked up there.  I guess it's our "manna from heaven?"


Speaking of the burn, the ground is covered by daisies from all the rain. Purple daisies that I must look up.  Little finches are hanging from the stems.  I can't tell what they are doing, but they congregate on them.  

Under the bird feeders...


 ...I'm getting a bumper crop of sunflower seedlings in the damp ground.  I'm pulling several each night to throw into the coop.  Waste not, want not.

Now, if I could just figure out what to do with these chickens.  They don't seem to be molting like I thought they were.  Only Bebe has a naked rear-end and it's starting to fill in again.  The cause of the egg reduction and the soft eggs must have another cause.  If I were getting more sleep, I may have thought of the answer...

or not!...



No comments:

Post a Comment