Monday, December 21, 2015

The calm before another storm...

There's going to be a break between snows for a few days, so I was out dumping into the compost pile and checking the garden.


Not a lot of fresh veggies going into us this time of year, but we still seem to fill the counter compost bin quickly.  Eggshells and coffee grounds, mostly, but the old standbys of lettuce and tomatoes for various Mexican meals during the winter are standard.   I found it hard to turn everything in though as there is still some frozen tundra in the pile.


Just a little bit of snow still in shade and between the raised beds.  I figured I'd better check the moisture levels around the strawberry plants before another storm comes.  I don't really know what killed the plants in the garage last year but I'm going to baby these plants the best I can.


The plastic had been blown a little so they needed tending anyway.  Snow and ice seems to have collected around the plastic over the straw piles and the melting had kept the soil moist.  The sun heated the area under the plastic and it was a little sauna underneath.  I guess I can give a thumbs-up for the time being.  

Everything was tucked back under the plastic and it was tightened around the edges and now it's all held down by the hoops again.  It'll be interesting to see how this method of hibernation for the strawberries goes.

Now that the outside is ready for another storm, I'm setting my sites on...


... getting to the bottom of my "office of doom."  Come on,  I just KNOW there are others out there with a similar room.  It contains years worth of family records and pictures.  Many gleaned from the homes of grandfathers and grandmothers who've passed over.  Such is my case.  Steve's mother is the latest to have her stuff added to this room.  

For YEARS, every time it was winter I've thought about the room where everything ends up.  I thought of how I'd go through it when snow was on the ground.  Well, we all know what's happened the last few winters.  Right! No snow!  So, this year I'm doing it whether or not we get more snow.  Steve finally has brought in a table for me to start my organized piles.  I can feel the excitement...

... OK, not so much excitement as dread.... but, here I go.....




No comments:

Post a Comment