Monday, January 25, 2016

Seed catalogs taking over...

It's been like Christmas on the homestead with all sorts of seed catalogs arriving. Five different companies, so far.  They are like the toy catalogs that arrived at Christmas when we were kids.... and just as exciting to this ol' girl.  


www.johnnyseeds.com

Now, I didn't pick Johnny's Seeds catalog for any other reason than that it was the 1st one I opened.  Sporadically, I have ordered seeds from other places so I get their catalogs but I'm not wedded to just one company.  Later, I did peek at the other catalogs, but they are all very similar, so Johnny's it was.  

I've already started my list.  Pages are dog-eared and best picks are circled. I've pruned my list to the best growers last year and a few new ones that I hope do well at this altitude.  Gone are the pole beans and now there's a new bush bean to try.  Gone are the Anaheim peppers and I'll be trying 2 bells this year.  I saved my own acorn and butternut squash seeds so I'll be expecting great things from them this Spring.

So, as you can see I'm starting out with high hopes for this Spring.  Which are much better odds than I am giving to my Blue Spruce seedlings which were just planted...


Most are looking dead, which I HOPE isn't the case...

Two still have some green parts, so I'm cautiously hopeful for them...

All the seedlings were planted just as they were supposed to be.  Directions were followed "to the letter" so I'm upset about these developments.  

Mother Nature, it seems, I am NOT!...




“I have not received, nor expect to receive, any compensation for items mentioned in the blog that I like, or may suggest to the viewers.  The items are just something that works/worked for me.  The Irish Lady.”

No comments:

Post a Comment