Monday, January 4, 2016

Who knew there were more temptations in life?...


Started off the new year by getting a comforting, yet healthy, meal going in the Crock Pot.  It's going to be a beef stew kinda week as we're expecting more snow for 2 days.  Yippee!  Between now and then, it's really COLD out there. Browned off a chuck roast and I'm adding my own carrots, which have kept brilliantly in the refrig.  Potatoes and onions are rounding out this feast. I'll add canned zucchini (my own) an hour before serving.  It's going to be hard to resist the smells that'll be coming from the kitchen soon.

I'm doing the healthy stew because I suppose everyone who reads the blog knows about my problems with eggnog.  I guess I've stated it enough during the last 2 holidays.  Sometimes I've considered that it's a "super secret" government test to see how much weight the average retired homesteader can gain between Thanksgiving and New Year's day.  

I must admit that this year has not been a stellar year in my efforts to stop the weight gains during the holidays.  Honestly, I thought I was doing pretty well. That was until...



... my hubby made a deal with the devil to sneak these into the house.  YES! Evil hubby!   Sure, it started out so innocently with his statement... "look what I found while shopping at Costco!"...

Devil, thy name is Steve.  Oh, I thought that I'd certainly be able to resist the lure of toffee, nuts and chocolate.  I did very well... until I didn't.  I'd even hid it away.  SOMEHOW, it found it's way onto the coffee table.  Must've walked there itself.  Then, inexplicably, it started singing this little beckoning song.  I resisted for hours.... OK, minutes.  Then my body tricked me into thinking I could have just one to stop the cravings.  The picture shows the container after that one toffee became many.  Sigh!.... there's no(body) I can trust to help me.

Later, my thoughts went to "I can chalk this up to a temporary weakness and start over the next day."  Didn't work out.  The next day Steve pulled out ANOTHER container he'd bought.  

I may have to trade him in....



“I have not received, nor expect to receive, any compensation for items mentioned in the blog that I like, or may suggest to the viewers.  The items are just something that works/worked for me.  The Irish Lady.”


No comments:

Post a Comment