Monday, February 29, 2016

To do, or NOT to do... that is the question...

             Things I've tried and that seemed to turn out well... or not...

   **********************************************************

Baking soda in the water while hard-boiling eggs.  I think it was a winner. Peeling the eggs gave me NO problems, which is saying something.  However, this was with store-bought eggs.  I'm holding total judgement until I have the new chickens and I can see how super-fresh eggs boil.  THEY are horrendous to peel.

   **********************************************************

Daddy's favorite casserole.  I've talked about this dish before.  Found out my sister didn't think it was a favorite.  Still, I changed it up by adding my own diced carrots into it.




Saut├ęd diced onions with the carrots before adding them into the browned hamburger meat, cooked macaroni, mushroom soup, cheddar cheese, soup can of milk and spices. Baked it all for 35 minutes and topped with cheddar for another 5 minutes.  It turned out very well and I received a compliment from the hubby.  So, it goes into my repertoire for other meals.

    *********************************************************

Crock Pot chicken fajitas.  Sounded very good.  Turned out not to be.  How, you ask, would it not turn out well?  Good question.  Layers of sliced chicken breasts, orange and yellow peppers, sliced onions, garlic, taco seasoning packet. Turned it on and let it go for 6 hours on low.  Smelled wonderful when it was cooking.  Looked juicy when it came out with LOTS of juice in crockpot. Fell apart while trying to serve it.  Well, both Steve and I found the meat itself to taste dry.  We STILL cannot figure that one out.  So, I'm never doing it in the Crock Pot again.  It'll always be done in an iron skillet.

   **********************************************************

From the Feb. 15 blog...

I tried the Crock Pot pork ribs cooked with BBQ sauce and a can of root beer...
I think Steve said he died and went to heaven.  He didn't because then I'd have had nobody to help me with the Spring garden set-up and bed building. It was, however, SO good. WINNER!

I also tried chili in the Crock Pot.  It, too, was very good.  Added a little less fluid as there is virtually no evaporation from a Crock Pot.  Again, it was very good and I didn't fear scorching, which sometimes happens when chili is cooked on a stove and the cook forgets to stir it occasionally.   Mmmm...

Now, back outside where we are in the process of leveling the build location for the new raised bed.... ta taa!....


No comments:

Post a Comment