Monday, March 28, 2016

And the straw poll is?......

Hoping that everyone who celebrates Easter had a good day.  It was quiet up here, since all the family is in the valley.  I do miss the boys when they were younger, when eggs were colored and hid.  After church, they hid them again and again for each other.  Ah, memories.....

        *******************************************************

This week I uncovered the strawberry plants to see if the new method of over-wintering them worked.  I had high hopes all Winter that this was THE way, but I also thought last year the plants were going to make it.  Remember the defeat there?  

I checked for moisture all Winter and there was always condensation, even during the cold, so what was I going to find?.....


Peaking out from the straw I noticed several green leaves.  Even if this method isn't what I'll eventually keep, it has already won points over last year.


Several plants are poking their way through the straw.  I did see a few brown, dry leaves, but I won't know how many made it until I uncover them.  I'm going to wait on that until it's no longer freezing at night.  I'm leaving the plastic attached until the danger of high winds is over.  

The weather forecast for this week is high winds, rain and possibly snow, so I'm not taking any chances on the good news of the green leaves becoming bad news of frozen plants.  I'm not expecting the rain, or snow, as the last few promises of getting some has never come to fruition.  However, when winds are forecast they ALWAYS come.   

Mountain homesteader's can always expect that bad news to come true...




No comments:

Post a Comment