Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Kittie "takes a powder"....

Ok, it's freezing here (well, not by most people's standards) but the wind is blowing at tornado speed and it's only around 53 degrees, so I'm calling it as I see it. Because of said cold, we are NOT even trying to do anything outside.

What to talk about?......

How about a story with a miraculous ending?  Ember, you all remember her? 


Our little rescue stray who still seems to retain her feral attitude and habits. We thought we lost her, or rather, I blamed Steve for losing her.  He consistently would go outside and leave the door open.  I guess I hadn't gotten him trained well enough after the rescue.

He walked Ziva out for her last tinkle of the night and left the door open.  I do understand that he forgot about Ember because we rarely saw her.  She'd sleep all day and roam at night.  Well, he couldn't find her before bed and we figured she roamed right out the door.

The next morning, flashlight in hand, he scoured the whole house.  Looked behind everything, under everything, all while calling her name.  Checked her food bowl and litter box and she hadn't been there.  We were devastated.

To add to our distress, we had to head to the valley for medical appointments, which meant a week away.   I left her food and water out.

On our return I checked the food and water and she'd not taken any.  Nine days and nothing.  That night, I went to feed Ziva her last meal and I heard a meow behind me.  I just about jumped out of my skin.  I called Steve and...


... after pulling the freezer away from the wall, she was found INSIDE the hole in the back.  Poor little thing was skin and bones by that time.  I still find it amazing that she went 9 days with no food or water.  We surmise that she jumped down behind the freezer to hide and couldn't get out (we had the freezer at an angle in the corner, so no way out).  Why she never meowed, we'll never understand.  Steve had shined a light back there.  I guess being feral made her extra quiet?


The freezer has had a modification to it so she can't hide in it again.  Probably a good thing as she was found behind it again a day later.  Not the smartest of cats.  

Anyway, she's been eating and drinking like mad since then.  We bring her to the couch at night while we watch TV and she's petted and talked to.  I hope this makes her less inclined to keep hiding...

.... yes, made apology to Steve for thinking she was lost... still trying to get him to close doors at night... you know, just in case...



No comments:

Post a Comment