Monday, May 9, 2016

GROW! darn it... GROW!...

Maybe growing my own plants from seed was a bit ambitious.  I thought doing this was a GOOD thing as I could research the best plants to try.  I mean, how hard can it be to grow seeds?

Well, it is turning out to be a daunting task.  My awe at gardeners who can grow seedlings has multiplied by a factor of 100.


The pumpkins are loving the grow light.. the others, not so much...

The watermelons in the back look pretty good, but that's all...

In this pic, only the zucchini are really doing well...

Yes, I did get off to a bad start as we needed to go to the valley for tests.  The seeds went with us, but is that the only reason for the sickly plants?   They are on grow mats for warmth and under the grow lights but this is a bad scene.

The pumpkins need to go out SOON, but not until the freezes are over.  Can seedlings get too big to transplant?  Only time will tell.

I guess I'm going to be direct-seeding a few of these to see if they like that better.  Not one acorn or butternut squash seed that I saved from last year has produced even a sprout.  I also foresee buying Roma tomatoes from a nursery as, though a few seedlings have come up, they look sickly and spindly.

I'm hoping to try this again next year, but if things don't improve over this year, I do believe that I'll just go back to buying the plants I need each year. 

Only problem?  I've never seen plants offered anywhere of those seeds I bought to try... 

..."sigh"...



No comments:

Post a Comment