Friday, May 27, 2016

Memorial Day holiday has been memorable...

... for more than just the remembering of those who gave their all.  I hope that everyone is remembering the fallen, those serving and those who may serve.   The traffic has been heavy all day for those who are coming up to the mountains to celebrate the holiday.  We'll be acting like many of the residents up here and staying in our house for the next 3 days.

But, the memories we'll have of THIS holiday are that our chicks arrived yesterday!



We were in the midst of breakfast when the call came that the post office had our chicks.  I knew most were alive as I could hear them chirping over the phone while Steve took the call.  

We bolted our food and headed out.  The chicken company asked that the box be opened in the presence of the postal staff, so here we are checking them out. All were alive.  I was so happy as I've never ordered chicks through the mail and I'd had some bad dreams about their condition upon arrival.



They were installed into their new home (top half of Ziva's crate).  Their home is back in our master bath as there may be need of the extra bedroom before they go outside.  I had ordered 10 chicks but we found an extra one was in the box after we'd taken each one out and got it drinking water.  Now.... take in the lovely clean bedding... because in NO time...



... they'd made a mess.  I considered it a GOOD mess as it meant they were all eating, drinking and pooping.   Their bed was warm enough that afterwards they were all sleeping.

This morning everyone had done well overnight and I had only 1 case of pasty butt starting.  Will I ever have chicks without one getting that?  Their bed was cleaned and today has been a good day.

So, happy Memorial Day weekend to all, and....

... to all a set of good memories....


No comments:

Post a Comment