Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Flight 11, calling tower....

Ok, the chick crate in the bathroom was getting old.  Steve walked in yesterday and noticed poop on the floor.  Looked inside the crate and 1 black chick was missing.  He ran around, trying to catch the now-sorta-flying chick. That resulted in more poop on the bathroom floor.  I guess that is an appropriate place for it, but ewwwwwww.


Found some old rabbit fence and they are covered for the time being.  I probably did wait too long.  There's been some airport-type activity going on for a few days.  One chick starts trying to fly and then they all are doing it.  I don't remember this when I had the 6 chicks last time, though.  

I don't use the heat lamp anymore as the temps in the bathroom are keeping them around 85 degrees anyway.  We've also stopped extra light during the day and they are in the dark at night.  I'd say they're about ready for the coop... that is when their feathers are ready.

Before that time comes though, I'm moving them into the living room.  I'm going to turn the crate over like it's meant to be, add the top and get them resettled. Steve's a tad worried about Ember, but she's declawed and I don't think she'll be able to reach through the top to snag one.  It might afford her some entertainment too.

Steve's back out on blueberry duty.  The push is on for this to get done.

Leveling... Ha!  NOTHING is level on this property...

2 down and 2 to go...

Dirt mixture going in... dead (tired) dog in the way...

More work on them tomorrow and they should be ready to plant.  Expecting rain and overcast conditions the rest of this week, so perfect transplanting weather.  The "dirt" is a mix of the old garden soil, peat moss, perlite, compost, acidic soil amender and manure.  I hope it gets the plants off to a good start...

... as the smell has gotten our sinus' off to a BAD start...



No comments:

Post a Comment