Friday, July 1, 2016

Blessed heat relief....

It started raining yesterday and it went on all night.  It actually got so cold during the night that we pulled blankets on.  Monsoon in the mountains sure can leave you discombobulated.  Hot, cold, hot, rainy.  Still, I'll take this weather.  I hope it bodes well for the July 4th parade tomorrow (yes, it's on the 2nd) because standing out in the hot sun is not what I'm made for.

Been cooking up a storm (Ha! Get it?). My storm involved pots and pans all over the place....


... as we are having 2 groups of visitors a few days apart.  I fudged a little and will get 2 meals out of each of the recipes.  Spaghetti casseroles, Mexican casseroles and breakfast casseroles. Steve and I love them so much that it'll be nothing to have each meal twice.


Made Goldfish cracker snacks for everyone to eat while playing board games at night.  Some of those games get mighty loud, too.  Maybe stuffing their faces will make it quieter? 



Checked the garden in the rain and noticed that the squashes (squashii?) are taking off like gangbusters.  Lots of little butternuts have shown up.  The acorns are flowering but no babes yet.  Already the squash are looking much better than last year when they grew in the straw bales.  I hope this means many squash to eat this year.  Very few last time.



The zucchini trials seem to be going well. This is a trial for growing them more vertically than just letting them take over the whole bed.  Tomato cages upside-down and pull the leaves up through them.  It's working now but getting the 1st leaves where I wanted them wasn't happening.  They are shorter so they fanned out. I may cut them off later but the new leaves are fitting up in the cone.  I have 8 zucchini growing now and I can see all of them with the leaves up and out of the way.  I LOVE Pinterest* ideas...

So, I'm headed back to cooking and Steve has finished the decorating of the 5 ton. I'll take some pictures for the next post.  Have one visitor sleeping after a drive from Minnesota and one is out doing the mail run with Steve.  
Busy, busy...

Happy 4th of July!...


*“I have not received, nor expect to receive, any compensation for items mentioned in the blog that I like, or may suggest to the viewers.  The items are just something that works/worked for me.  The Irish Lady.”


No comments:

Post a Comment