Friday, July 29, 2016

We're in mourning... several injuries noted...

I went out to the blueberry beds today thinking I was going to water healthy plants.  I suppose that would be something since they've been through hell and back.  They were just getting back to some strength after loosing their leaves to beetles and having to sprout new ones.  

Then they've been through heavy smoke.... FOREVER!...                           

 ... sorry, got sidetracked....

Well, the beetles have found them again.  I was hoping the plants would escape notice.  NO!  The few beetles not still trying to get into the strawberry bed or devour the potato plants found the blueberry beds again.  I pulled as many as I could but I was fighting back tears.  IT'S JUST NOT FAIR!  
Can they come back a third time?....



I've also expected a few more attacks on the zucchini because of that rabbit or squirrel that ate one.  I could lose a few zucchini and not suffer.  But, once whomever it was attacked my acorn squash... well, the war is on!  They are precious to me.



I've pulled out all my netting and swaddled the squash beds.  I had to do both as we all just KNOW that the culprit will move to the butternuts in the next bed. They are my second favorites.  I didn't get a picture but there was also a carrot missing today from the trough.  So, patrols to start nightly.  Ziva may get some bribes to add garden patrols to her tree patrols.



Speaking of the beetles on the strawberry bed before... the tulle has allowed the plants to start pushing more leaves out, too.  There are some very badly damaged strawberry plants but they all are adding some new leaves.  Whew!

Getting some chicken pictures ready for the next post....

..... some nagging suspicions about the "girls".....



No comments:

Post a Comment