Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Cock-a-doodle-doo......

God sent my brother and his family along, with some rain, and an answer. It's been raining for quite a while.  I'm cold.  I sit with my jacket on while inside the house and sleep with a blanket.  It's strange but I'm LOVING it.  I go outside and breathe deeply because it smells wonderful... no smoke either.

Now, for the answer.  You know which one... is Whitey a hen or rooster?  My brother walked out to the coop and crowed at the girls.  Whitey crowed right back at him.  We were all stunned, but not surprised.  I guess there's just something about my brother that Whitey felt he needed to throw some weight around.   I keep trying to get him to crow at me; he won't.  Not even Steve can get a crow.  I'll bet some neighbors are wondering about all the crowing we're doing.  They already think we're nuts, but I'm sure this is verifying it. I'm going to see if I can catch him at it on video before we need to get rid of him.


The garden is filling out and we're eating healthy.  My green beans are just starting to flower.  Lazy little seeds I bought just wouldn't take until the 3rd planting.  It's good in that we won't be stuffed with beans and I won't have to can them.  Any extra will just be frozen this year.

I'm thinking over getting Steve to do another small task before next year's planting.  It's become harder for me to harvest from the low troughs, so I think I'll (he'll) be adding blocks under their legs to raise them a bit.  I can't sit on the edges like on the block beds.  I have to squat.  Then, I have to try and stand. Been stuck in that position for a while a few times.  Never have yelled for Steve because he wouldn't hear me, but I can see myself becoming desperate sometime down the line.



Only two squash supports were being used right now, for a squash and a watermelon.  So I decided I'm using most of the rest of them as defences against the rabbit (may not be a rabbit but I'm going with that assumption). Any fruit that is hanging within tooth range has a support propped against it. I hope this works.



Decided on fish for dinner the other day and roasted some of the golden beets with chunks of zucchini.  Steve's never had beets this way so I wasn't sure what he'd think.  He LOVES red beets from a can which are revolting to me.  

I didn't have a huge amount to try out so the servings were small.  Ha!  I didn't have a huge amount of beets... I'm in danger of drowning in zucchini.  I served him and waited.  He loved them.  So, maybe I can change his mind about vinegary beets from a can afterall.  (just looked at the picture and am realizing that the tartar sauce squeezed from a tube looks surprisingly revolting.  Ugg!)

... goodbye for now... I be back-a-doodle-doo.......



No comments:

Post a Comment