Monday, August 29, 2016

Eeny, meeny, miny, moe...

It's getting late in the growing season now and every morning as I head out in the COLD, I'm reminded of that.  We'll only have a few more weeks of decent weather before the truly cold nights of Fall stop everything from growing.  

Already the strawberry plants have some raspberry-colored leaves, which is one of the first warnings we get that it's colder at night.  The blog's header is saying what I'm doing this week.  I'm deciding what was a good fit for our mountain garden and what wasn't.  

The everbearing strawberry plants will NOT be making the cut this year. They were second year plants and should've been good producers.  NOPE! Scrawny little berries, if any, and misshapen.  Yes, they were hit by the beetles before we got them covered, but I can't see giving them prime garden space when they aren't doing well.  Already, the new June bearing plants have passed them in size and vigor, so the two-year-olds will be pulled in Fall.  I'll give them to any close gardener that'd like to work with them for next year.



Was trimming the lower leaves from the Brussels Sprouts, too.  Some of them were pink which makes me think of the raspberry strawberry leaves.  Is it the same warning of cold weather?  They are supposed to like cool weather so why would they show a stress color?  Hmmm.  I decided that, in addition to yellow and pink leaves, I'd take off any that were hanging onto the dirt. Contact with the dirt transfers diseases and I'm determined to get them to harvest.


It had been a while since I'd checked the blueberry beds.  Lots of rain meant I didn't need to water and the poles were still doing the cement curing, so I didn't bother.  I was surprised with a third set of leaves sprouting on the bushes. They are some very resilient little bushes.  It's so cold now that I haven't seen any beetles around that may ruin them again.



This weekend was so productive that we had chicken salads featuring mostly our own harvests.  The strawberries weren't mine (sigh) and neither was the chicken, but the leaf lettuce, carrots and green onions were.  Made another batch of my own dressing and we were set.  

Heading back out now to work on my starting lineup roster for next year's garden.  Sounding like a football coach, right?  Well, we are in preseason games now.  So... 

Definitely leading off next year with beets, carrots, broccoli and lettuce. Winter squash makes the cut, too.  Summer squash was another producer.  Beans, peppers and tomatoes may be benched.  They didn't perform well this year. Still deciding on watermelons but they didn't live up to hype either...

... my bench may need to be a little longer....



No comments:

Post a Comment