Monday, August 1, 2016

Henny Penny?... Rory Rooster?....

I usually sit with the chickens while they get their daily greens in their treat ball. If I'm feeling generous I hold the chain to the treat ball steady so they can eat in one place.  If I'm not, I let the ball swing all over the place while I watch them from my crate.  My form of barnyard TV.


The girls are all mostly filled in with their 3rd set of feathers (I think that's correct).  Very few have much of a comb.  I read up on hens and roosters this weekend and which types of combs to check for.  Mostly because of.....



... this guy... gal.  "It" is so much farther along than the others, in feathers, comb and wattles.  Yep, Whitey seems to be off the growth chart for my chickens at this stage.  It's too early for crowing, but there are a couple dark feathers coming out on the neck and near the tail, so I'm having some doubts on the sex of this bird.  Now, it may be genetics from mom and dad that's making it grow faster.  I don't know how many other differences may arise, but wow!  None of the others are so advanced.

My new pastime will be watching for developments in the "hooster" this month.


Did some freezer Crock Pot-ting this weekend.   Cooked 6 HUGE inch-thick pork chops for several meals that'll be ready when I'm NOT ready to cook. They go on low all day in a can of mushroom cream soup and can of chicken cream soup.  Just mix the soups in the crock and add salted and peppered pork.  I tried a new additive this time.  A little pouch of Flavor Boost (Swanson's*) in chicken flavor. Nestled the pork into the mix and we had the best pork chops with plenty of gravy for mashed potatoes.  Stowed 3 meals in the freezer and now it'll be hard to leave them there.

Today we don't seem to have smoke all around us. We had a great rain last night and it may have been enough to put out that fire near us.  Maybe I'm being too hopeful here.  I've been fooled before.  

Going to find some wood to... you know....



*“I have not received, nor expect to receive, any compensation for items mentioned in the blog that I like, or may suggest to the viewers.  The items are just something that works/worked for me.  The Irish Lady.”

No comments:

Post a Comment