Friday, August 19, 2016

Peecan... pecahn... great eating either way....

Last week I made a pecan pie using a high altitude pecan pie recipe I found online.  Well, I didn't EXACTLY follow the recipe because I used cashews. But, I needed to find a recipe for 6700' that wouldn't make a mess of my oven.  I HAD used my old recipe from living in the valley and it did work once.  Not sure why it worked the 1st time I used it up here, but it never worked correctly again.


It tasted great (according to family who picked the right time to visit).  Steve liked how salty the cashews were as he can never get enough salt.  It baked well enough but, not the perfect pie I wanted.  This week I used another recipe I found...


.. and we have a winner.  This pie even looked so much better than the 1st recipe tried.  Yes, there was a difference in taste between using cashews and pecans, but this recipe won by a landslide.  It has a hint of cinnamon in it which really worked well.  If you live high in the mountains you'll want to try this recipe.  The only thing I did differently was to cover the pie with a tinfoil square for the 1st 30 minutes of baking to keep the crust from browning too much.   http://www.themuffinlady.com/high_altitude_pecan_pie.html *


We are still in monsoon and every afternoon we get a little rain.  It has made the sunflower seeds under the bird feeding stations sprout.  I've been pulling them for the girls (and Rooster) to give them a change from their usual greens.

I have signs up on the gate and around town to sell the excess chickens and an offer to give Rooster away.  Not heard a thing from anyone.  This bodes badly for them... sorry Heidi.


Still dealing with an excess of zucchini.  I found out that they shouldn't be kept in the refrigerator.  At least up here.  They got slimy.  I used my mandoline to slice them for the compost pile.  On the way there I threw some to the girls, but not any with slime.


I find it sad that I had to feed the pile with zucchini.  I'd rather give the excess to the neighbors.  Maybe I should take a poll of the neighbors...

... they may prefer I feed the pile for a while....

  
* “I have not received, nor expect to receive, any compensation for items mentioned in the blog that I like, or may suggest to the viewers.  The items are just something that works/worked for me.  The Irish Lady.”

No comments:

Post a Comment