Wednesday, August 31, 2016

The pace is slowly slowing...

The thinning of plants is still going on so I'm about ready for this season to be over.  The leaves of the butternut squash are yellowing and wasting away. I guess harvest is near. The acorn squash plants are still full and leafy.  Wonder when they'll start dwindling down?  I'm just about at that point in the zucchini season where I'll let one on each plant go to seed so these things will STOP producing. 

Very few leaf lettuce plants are left.  Most green onions are gone.  Down to only a few of my original carrots but the second planting of them is coming on.  My potato bins are looking dreadful; yellow and brown.  Hope that means harvest soon.  It's crazy but the basil seeds I planted but that never came up.... are starting to come up.  I guess they are the procrastinators of the gardening world.


Found another squirrel that I don't mind having in the garden.  He never gets into any of the plants and Ziva leaves him alone.



We took a day to drive around in the forest where we've never been.  It's so nice now that it's cool and the rains have greened it up.  We caught a glimpse of wild horses there, too.  I've never seen them except from the highway so it was sort-of exciting.


Lori's birdhouse....

Had a little excitement in the house yesterday.  We were having a lovely day when there was a huge crash from one bedroom.  It's startling when you know there's nobody in the house but you, and there's commotion from an unexplained source.  

Sorry, long story.  Turned out that all those items I'd gotten ready to sell this weekend (remember, the sale was called off) decided to take the shelf down in the closet where they were stored. So today turned into a work-in-the-closet-day and the broken shelf and screws were replaced.  In some ways it was a good thing since we cleaned out that closet, too.  I see us donating a lot of stuff.

Company is coming up this Friday for Labor Day so I'm also in the midst of cooking.  I prefer to get items pre-cooked before putting them together when needed. Must also get Steve to put up the zip-line for the grandkids.  This time Mom and Dad can run along with them and catch them if they fall....

.... as Grammy and Grandpa need a rest this holiday....



No comments:

Post a Comment