Friday, September 30, 2016

1 potato... 2 potatoes... 26 potatoes....WOW!...

Today was the day to see what amount of potatoes I'd find in the straw potato bin.  That bin was never a good looking bin.  I don't think that the potato plants really liked living in straw.  Anyway, that bin had the plants die-back first, so it went to the head of the line for the potato harvest.

Steve pulled the wire cage up and out of the way for me and we started working our way through the smelly and black straw.  Another negative for me and straw bins.


We grew 26 potatoes although a few are probably nothing to write home about. They range from the size of a large pea to 3 inches long.  While we were digging them out we think that the potatoes were only on 3 plants.  I planted 7 seed potatoes so that bin wasn't very productive.  I could swear that I had seven plants growing, so I'm wondering why they didn't all have tubers.

I'm supposed to let the potatoes dry in a shady place, but I took them inside because I don't want to lose any to freezing.

I really hope that the 2 other potato bins do better.  They were the dirt bins and they always seemed heartier than the straw one.  They looked better and held their bushy green leaves longer.  The plants in them have some dead leaves but they still seem alive so it's taking them longer to die.  That is.... 



... until I came into the garden with my wagon.  I'm not one to take it easy when I want something... and I wanted to get that wagon between the dirt potato bins.  I thought I'd made it when the wagon seemed to catch on something.  I pulled too hard and wagon came loose and pulled the wire cage off one bin.  Arrrg!   My fault totally.  Obstinate and impulsive!  That's me.

I stuffed straw and dirt back into place, sorta, and now I'm wondering if I blew it. There is only one semi-living green plant stalk up so I hope it browns and I can see what I've done.  



I thought I'd done enough damage for one day and was going to head in when I noticed all the dead pine needles around the garden.  And then I thought, since they were already dead and I couldn't harm them any more, that I'd rake some up for the blueberry beds.  I had a nice pile going until the chickens thought there had to be something great inside the pile and they did a number on it...

... I'll get to that pile again... soon...



No comments:

Post a Comment