Friday, September 23, 2016

Feeling like Dorothy Gale today....

We've been living in a wind tunnel for the last 2 days so I wasn't feeling like gardening today.  I didn't head out to see the girls until noon.  When I did get there I found a miraculous sight...


... as a girl had found a nest box.  It's not the boxes I wish they would use but it is a cleaner place than the run or the floor of the coop.  Maybe they'll progress to the REAL boxes.  I can only hope.



I opened that weird squash/melon to see what I was dealing with.  It smelled like a pumpkin to me and an acorn squash to Steve.  Hard as a rock, though. Cut it into fourths and set it out for the girls,  They loved it.



Next to the weird squash was this pathetic watermelon.  It's the size of a baseball and never grew bigger.  I've finally decided to turn it over. Good thing as it had developed a bad, mushy spot.



I cut it open and half was still looking halfway edible... for chickens.  Threw away the bad half and set the other down...



... where it was attacked by them.  So, this was the only watermelon to grow at all and it did poorly.  Yep, they are not coming back next year.

I lasted all of 2 hours in the howling wind and headed back inside.  Sort of felt like a wimp, but I found things to do inside.  Hopefully tomorrow is a calmer day.



Tonight the last of the golden beets and broccoli were roasted for dinner. BOTH of these will be back.  

Steve pulled out boxes of chores we kept procrastinating about after dinner.   We're going to start on the wall-sized pantry we bought at IKEA* but never started...

... wish us luck.  Hope to be finished with it by Thanksgiving....


*“I have not received, nor expect to receive, any compensation for items mentioned in the blog that I like, or may suggest to the viewers.  The items are just something that works/worked for me.  The Irish Lady.”


No comments:

Post a Comment