Friday, September 16, 2016

Fire and ice... not always nice....

Well, we are in the middle of another bout of smoky-fire-all-around-us-allergies. I shut the windows at night and have the fans going, but really, I'm over forest fires near us.  There've been rains and still these fires burn. Sorry, but had to get that off my chest.  My hacking allergy chest. 
                
                            ***********************************

Still, We've gotten a lot done today and there's a lot to show for it.  We have a new strawberry pie for dinner (alas not my fabulous fruits), ALL of my Christmas gifts have been ordered and Steve is back working on the blueberry enclosure.

The hens now have their nesting boxes rinsed, cleaned and fluffed.  The boxes were a job I'd planned to do before eggs came, but when I headed out there with all my pine shavings and straw, I found this...


... and them just standing there all innocent.  Never figured out who laid it but this moment got me moving into high gear.  An aside here, we'd just culled several and there were no eggs looking ready in them.  I think this made me think it would be quite a while before eggs came.  Ha!



The pine shavings went into the boxes and 1st egg was carefully laid into a box. I hope they ALL get the idea that this is where the newly laid eggs go; NOT on the run floor.  




The coop floor was raked clean and holes filled in.  Straw was piled into what I thought was a reasonable amount and everything was neatened.  I pulled the last rabbit fence piece blocking off the nest boxes and now they have a cozy house.


The girls will need it.  My weather apps were still showing nightly temps in the 40's, but we obviously had reached freezing last night.  The frozen leaves on my pumpkins let me know...  

... hopefully they are near harvesting...




No comments:

Post a Comment