Wednesday, September 21, 2016

General maintenance day....

All in all, today turned out to be a good day in the garden.  Yes, there is still smoke around but the winds carried most of it away from our homestead.  It was cloudy yesterday and most of today, but the sun came out just after noon. The garden woke up and the chickens had fun running around.

I've given up on trying to get the chickens to get into the nesting boxes. There is a small brown egg under the feeder in the coop each morning now, so I think that's something they'll have to work out.  At least the eggs are no longer in the run.  They're cleaner on the straw, too.



I did more trimming of vines and raking of dead leaves in the garden.   I've wondered what this is for long enough.  It's growing with the pumpkins, but it looks like nothing I've ever seen.  It hasn't changed in size for weeks either, so I think I'll cut into it soon.



I was very slow in removing the barrel and tripod from the compost pile. When I did I had this neat little pile of feathers.  It's now been turned with new straw in it and I hope it'll be ready soon.  My pile is small but it has to cover the garden when the garden is done for the season.



Steve is taking a break in the shade here and almost invisible.  The support "T" posts are in and the fence going around the blueberry beds has started to go up.  The plants have made it back from ruin and I hope they all make it through the Winter.


Julie's birdhouse... couldn't get a pic of it in the sun....

The freezes have been gone for a while, probably because we're covered with clouds daily.  I still have my lettuces but they are almost done.  There are a few beets left to eat and the broccoli just put out its last teeny heads...

... now we're awaiting the acorns and butternuts... yum....




No comments:

Post a Comment