Monday, October 24, 2016

Everbearers are ever-gone....

The last few days I set aside to get all the ever-bearing strawberry plants out of my garden and sent to their new home.


I had soaked them well so getting them out was pretty easy.  My harder job was keeping the chickens out of the way as they seemed to think I must've had something really great up in the bed.



Once the plants were gone I was able to see how much extra room I'll have to work with next year.  Only needed to transplant 7 June-bearing plants.  I'd interspersed them throughout the others when I'd received my new order in Spring.  I'm thinking that all the leftover straw mulch will be put over the troughs for the Winter.



I was very surprised to have 3 boxes of transplants to give away. I was able to find someone through Facebook* who wanted them.  I was just happy to see them used and not go to waste.



The girls were allowed to check things out after I was done with the hard work. I'd butchered a few plants trying to get them out so I left them there to be noshed on.



It's not time to cut the plants down for Winter, but I saw no harm in letting the girls get some greens into their diet.  I'm pretty sure there were no bugs there, but you never know.



Steve dropped off the plants to the recipient and came home with a surprise.   Not anticipated, but greatly appreciated.  

Pickles and salsa.  Sound like the start to a great party....


*“I have not received, nor expect to receive, any compensation for items mentioned in the blog that I like, or may suggest to the viewers.  The items are just something that works/worked for me.  The Irish Lady.”


No comments:

Post a Comment