Monday, November 14, 2016

...now, a break for your sponsors....

Yes, it was time for us to take a break from the homestead and head down the mountain.  It was mostly a Fall break from the homestead chores, but it was also a shopping excursion.

Lucy sitting in the saddle of the mountain, while Snoopy sleeps at the base at the right...

The view from our balcony in Sedona, Arizona.  It was a world-known view of two of America's most famous stars... Snoopy and Lucy.  Boy, do those Peanuts characters get around.  The city lived up to it's sunshine promise and the amount of tourists lived up to our expectations.  

Everywhere we were told that the city was BOOKED.  Every accommodation in the place is booked in October because leaves change.  Well, some of them. We were a week later than October, but the place was still booked.  The traffic there made me miss the calm and quiet of our mountain.



We reverted back to being parents of YOUNG children (long ago) and I made monkey bread like we used to.  It was about the only cooking I did while there.  I WAS on a vacation!   We mostly hit our favorite restaurants.

Made a trip into Prescott as the secondary reason for the trip.  Steve hit a large hardware store for a jig saw, nail gun and other items needed to put my kitchen back together.  I hope that happens before next Wednesday.
  

Clockwise from lower left: cream, chocolate milk and 2 brown eggs....

The "girls" were watched by a new "chicken-sitter" and I believe we may use her again.  IF she wants.  They survived and so did she.  She doesn't eat eggs, though, so I wonder what she'll do with her bounty.

The girls are putting out 2-4 eggs a day.  My first day back and there was some friction in the coop.  I'm thinking I may need to rename Gold and Copper with our son's names as there was intense fighting.  

Copper would go into the coop to lay in the ONLY spot the girls will use.  Gold goes in and bites her comb.  Fighting ensued.  Copper left after yelling a bunch of something bad.  Gold left and acted like nothing happened... until Copper goes in to lay again.  Then, more biting.  

I locked Gold in the run and Copper went back to doing her business.  After egg laid and removed, Gold was allowed out.  She went into the coop and did her business.  I'd no idea she wanted to lay, too.  She could've done it when she made Copper leave.  Hens!  One good thing about this mornings laying saga... I know who's laying the chocolate milk egg.  Copper.  Gold's was creamy.

I'm thinking there may be some future problems.  What happens when Runt is finally laying?  Six hens not getting along?  ALL wanting to use the ONE spot in the coop... 

... and 2 clean and quiet nesting boxes totally ignored... 

... may need another trip...



No comments:

Post a Comment