Thursday, December 8, 2016

A girl had a surprise in store...

It's sad but I guess I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed.  I'd given up on the girls getting smart enough to use their 2 nesting boxes and stopped checking them.  "Someone" got the best of me because "someone" used a box and it looks like for several days.  Maybe a few are using it. 

Steve checked and found...


... three eggs (lower right is ceramic).  By the color of the eggs it must be a red girl.   Yeah, I know what you're thinking, but that lighter one is really...



... a dark brown one with some strange coloring on it.  Now, I don't know if it's because it froze while up in the box, or not.  If it's been 3 nights then they might've frozen.  They were very cold when brought into the house.

I waited until the next day to see what I'd have when it was cracked open.



It seemed ok, but there is a spot near the yolk.  I'm not going to chance eating this one, so the girls will have it as breakfast.



Pulled the hoops off the bed where the Brussels Sprouts and carrots were still living.  Or, dying... OK, they're dead.  Everything froze so I let the girls loose and they ate any leaves they wanted.  Three sprouts stalks are the only things still left.  The hoops are stacked along a fence, but I hope to get Steve to move them into the garage to be worked on during the winter.

So, the season is ALMOST over.  The blueberries are still in a defiant frame of mind.  They are STILL holding onto some leaves.  I suppose they are German and Irish blueberries.   Stubborn just like us....



No comments:

Post a Comment