Monday, December 5, 2016

♫ "Strawberry fields, forever" ♫...

... or 4 years, if they make it that long.  They're supposed to last 3-4 years according to some experts, or 2-3 years according to others.  I'll think they are doing well if they make it back from my ineptness.  I was supposed to get them winterized before the 1st snow and failed in that task.


The first snow has come and gone and I'd worried about their roots freezing, which didn't come to pass as they greened up again and put out new leaves.



It's done but not with any help from the chickens.  They all tried eating the leaves but didn't really seem to like them.  I cut back all runners and leaves...



... and gathered all the trimmings to compost.  Copper managed to photobomb my picture of the plants now ready for mulching.  All the straw in the pic is last year's mulch which I left.



A layer of pine needles went over the little guys (gals) which is supposed to raise the acidity and help them in spring.



Topped the pine needles with straw and the whole shebang was covered with plastic for the winter.  I kept the hoop on to help keep the winter winds from pulling the plastic off (which will still happen, inevitably).

Nothing left to do for the rest of the winter but get more pine needles onto the blueberries.  Then... find stuff to do in the house for the season...

... like GET MY KITCHEN DONE.....



No comments:

Post a Comment