Thursday, December 29, 2016

Winter plans becoming Spring doins'...


I'm trying something new this year in the overwintering department.  Two reasons really... I was lazy and this new batch of hens is much more destructive. Sure, they probably think they're being helpful, but I don't see me stopping their digging.

As you can see, the place is starting to dry out after days of rain and snow. The mud is almost walkable on.  You can also see that there is no mulch/compost on the beds.  Just getting the straw and pine needles onto the strawberry bed was stressful.  I'd turn away for more and the hens would have everything off the bed.  The two troughs in the background HAD straw on them for the winter. They don't any more.  

So, we're going to leave the beds until spring and then cover them with compost and hoops.  The only unknown with this plan.... will we have compost we can use?  Right now, it's also scattered all over.  Plans may change.


Our motion detector light hasn't worked for a while, so 2 new ones went up. We have a solar one in the front where sunlight hits the door.  In the back, we've added a battery powered one. 

They work very well.  So well that they go off constantly.  They are very powerful and pick up movement from squirrels, rabbits, wind in trees and a host of other things moving around the property.   They also seem to be fascinating to Ziva.  She'll prance around and set them off... I think they might be making her feel powerful.



We hit town and picked up more pine boards.  As you can see, things haven't moved swiftly around here.  Still, we are slowly moving forward (my appre-ciation for Steve's strength goes up each time I see how much he can lift).  

We've been slowed down by doorways here, but we hope to finally figure out how to get past them and their quirks.  It would've helped if either of us had been into construction, but.... there you go....

Steve's just had another birthday and I think I found the perfect gift for my balding man...


... yep, a new half-mullet.  I about died when I found this headband with the long hair.  I think it's going to get him a lot of attention from the ladies at the post office...



No comments:

Post a Comment