Thursday, December 22, 2016

Winter sprouting going well... rain is another story...

Been getting a few things done before the holidays make things more hectic. The sprouting seeds in the guest bedroom are doing well.  I don't think that room is going to be used for the holidays, so things can stay there. 


The girls received their 1st taste of sprouted wheat grass yesterday.  It got a few stares before they decided it was edible.  Then, all hell broke loose.

They have only had 2 days outside the coop and run this week.  Rain off and on has hampered them... and me.  Working with the new tarp system had been terrible so...


... things, they are a-changing.  Four days of rain, and possibly snow, are headed our way.  After the last couple of rainy days, we decided to change the tarp placement on the coop.  Having the tarp hang down on the ground just sent the water into the dirt under the coop house and made the ground damp. We're hoping that this design sends the excess water away from the coop area.

I have to say that I hope we remember this set-up (did we try this before?). It was so easy to roll (ok, push) the right block away with a foot and roll tarp out of the way.  It made getting the eggs and adding water/food much easier. Once done, just push the block back onto tarp and hoot and holler that it's done.

Todays breakfast was barley sprouts, beets sprouts, scrambled eggs and broccoli sprouts.  It almost looked like a fancy breakfast we might've had at a nice restaurant.  As I slip-slided out to their house I was thinking they should really appreciate me as keeping bored hens happy has become my new profession...

... and here I'd thought I'd retired from work...

... silly me!....

 

No comments:

Post a Comment