Monday, February 27, 2017

Seedlings with gravy... YUCK!...

I spent the weekend inside.  Not something I'm proud of, but it was FREEZING here.  And by freezing, I mean below 32 degrees at night.  Barely above that during the day.  And, windy, which makes it even colder.  We are expecting snow the next couple of days, so it isn't looking much better. Anyway, I worked on the seedlings and made heavy, filling breakfasts which I enjoyed.


My seedlings are doing pretty well.  I decided they needed more coverage as we let it get cold in the house at night.  The pumpkins and acorn are the winners, by far.  Out of a container of broccoli seeds only 3 came up.  I'll be reseeding the empty areas.  

In a week I add seeds of plants that'll go outside in 8 weeks.  Bush beans are one, but I can't remember what else I'd decided on. Sheesh!  That "over 60 senility" is a killer.

                 ****************************************************************

I LOVE biscuits and sausage gravy.  I hadn't ever said that until a couple years ago.  Never grew up with them as a breakfast and NEVER ordered them in a restaurant.  Then... I got hooked on "The Pioneer Woman" on the TV and things changed.  She made them a lot for the cowboys and it looked easier than I thought it'd be.  

Now, this is where things take a strange turn.... Steve has LOVED biscuits and gravy as long as I remember and he gets them ALL THE TIME in restaurants. Wouldn't you think he'd love them at home? NO! He turns them down every time.  Talk about confusing.

So, I bake biscuits and freeze them for me to have a small pan full of gravy.  I brown sausage and package it in baggies, too.  I bought the cutest mini iron skillets and I'm just waiting for the day he says he'll have some.  Until then, this is my take on biscuits and sausage gravy for one...


...1/8 pkg. of cooked sausage (frozen singly), removed from freezer...
... heated in skillet...

... add butter and a little flour... cook 'til browned a bit...

... add 3/4 cup milk and bring to a boil...

... bubble until thick and coats a spoon...

... black pepper, parsley flakes and seasoned salt, to taste...

... serve over warmed biscuit and add more parsley...

I usually take out 2 biscuits from the freezer bag and toast one to have with butter and jelly.  It's quite a nice meal for one and warms you from the inside-out.  I don't eat this everyday, but when it's cold out I love it.

Someday, when Steve says he'll have some... I'll get up, after having a heart attack... grab the second skillet... make him a batch... and expect a WOW! and then expect him to ask for more....

... at least twice a year.  We'll see if I get the chance to realize this dream...


*“I have not received, nor expect to receive, any compensation for items mentioned in the blog that I like, or may suggest to the viewers.  The items are just something that works/worked for me.  The Irish Lady.”



No comments:

Post a Comment