Thursday, February 9, 2017

We're BAAAAAAACK....

... and I was almost in imminent danger of going into hospitalization for internet withdrawal.  Nine days with no way of checking on family, getting the dreaded taxes done or even being able to do the blog.  That last thing might be a hit or miss for being essential, but to me it was.  If only the company up here had some competition for their service... non-service.

Things will go back to our regularly scheduled posts but here is a loooong blog for catching up with things on the mountain...

The snows are gone for much of the near future.  We've had a few days where they predicted rain, but that never made it, either.

Nine days ago there was still snow on everything, but it was melting...


... clearing off the coop....

... checking on the girls...

... replacing the straw....

... 12 foot bush then, which now is back upright...


Dangers of our own making cropped up and Ziva is still paying the price.   She took off after a squirrel and hit the old birdbath we'd left out.  I'd think it was visible to an animal with keen eyesight, but in the thrill of the chase...
The metal rim sliced into her knee so she's getting treats and regular salve ministrations. 


Now, this is what the garden looks like.  Most of the snow is gone, except in the shady areas, and mud has become a mucky mess.  The girls are out most days so they seem happier.



I got the sprouts going again.  It's either these greens, or buy more.  I think I overdid the store-bought kale, as the eggs were taking on a different taste. So, I pulled out last year's seeds from the frig and I'm trying to get them to sprout. It's looking like only the wheatgrass and barley survived.  The broccoli and beets aren't doing anything.

I'm planning on moving the whole shebang to the living room windows.  More room and the stuff won't interfere with visitors.  



Since we've last met, someone has figured out the newest nesting box.  I think it may have been the week of forced confinement.  I guess there was only so much exploring to do in the small coop.  Anyway, this is exciting to me as I can expect cleaner eggs.

So, I missed all of you.  Hope this NEVER happens again...

.... yah... right!....

 

No comments:

Post a Comment