Monday, March 13, 2017

Water-walls of wonder...

This group of hens are doing something I don't remember the last group being able to do.  They can TELL TIME....


This picture was taken as I just snuck my arm out the side door at 4:15 PM. They are lined up for their nighttime snack.  I was late in going out as it's starting to stay light for an hour longer than it has.  I guess they all checked their watches and there they were.  They've proven themselves not the smartest chickens in the world, but telling time has moved them up my scale.



It's been so warm that I decided to check on the Douglas Fir tree-lings.  Took the hose out to fill the walls and see how the babes had survived the winter. The water walls are not frozen now so they are sagging.  I've got another order in for water walls as the cold temps destroyed most of them.

This little tree was the dead one last Fall.  It's not dead anymore.  It's put out another limb that is green. So surprising that it's making another go at life.

I'm going to keep the walls up as they give the seedlings protection against hurricane Ziva and her feet of thunder.  She seems to avoid running into the trees so I must keep them there, at least until they are taller and stronger.



A few of them have shot up over their containment barriers.  Three are really tall.  So, it looks like 10 out of 10 seedlings made it through the Winter.

That made me very happy as...




... the mail today brought my new Blue Spruce seedlings.  I've learned what worked last year for getting seedlings to make it, so they will sit in the refrigerator until May.

We'll see how they do then... 



No comments:

Post a Comment