Thursday, April 6, 2017

A case of basket cases....

After a Wall-of-Water developed a flat tire around a Douglas Fir seedling, it was time to make some cages that would protect them, but keep them safe from Ziva.  Luckily, we had leftover fencing to make them from.


Steve cut sections that made several cages with 18 inch diameters.  He was putting them out like a machine.  We left spines down on the bottoms to push into the ground.



Then, it was my turn to get paint onto them.  I chose red but I really have no idea if Ziva will be able to see this color red.  I hope that if she hits them that they'll be strong enough to take the blow.  



I found if I had some music playing (really loudly) that the beat kept me painting at a fast pace.  I decided on painting them with a brush.  I thought spray paint would be wasted as most would go through the fencing.  Here they're in the sun to dry.



The flat Wall-of-Water* came out and was replaced with the first cage.  It seems very sturdy.  The seedling is not looking really good right now.  It still freezes at night and it's lost its thermal protection for the time being.



After all our hard work, it was time to relax.  Ziva stayed on squirrel patrol, though.  At one point she went walking by and went back to place her Lambchop toy next to her.  I thought it funny enough for a picture.  It was like she was teaching it how to watch for squirrels with her.


*“I have not received, nor expect to receive, any compensation for items mentioned in the blog that I like, or may suggest to the viewers.  The items are just something that works/worked for me.  The Irish Lady.”


No comments:

Post a Comment