Monday, April 10, 2017

"Nailed" the need for more fencing....

Heard Steve yelling from the "pantry" in the living room.  He said to come see something.  He'd pulled out the potato crock that had ended up under a table and I saw this...


... and at first I thought of those awful pictures you see on the internet of women with long curly fingernails.  Scary!  Then I realized it was potato sprouts, but for a minute I was going to run.

It did make me decide that I needed to get the potato bins outside in the garden and get my seed potatoes in and growing. 



Sadly, this is what I found in the potato area.  The hens have pretty-much pulled the whole mountainside down.  I started raking rocks out of the area to make some flat ground, but it's going to take a while... unless I can get Steve to volunteer.


While contemplating this mess, I noticed that they've also done a lot of damage to the West side of the garden.  I don't have a walking ledge around the new beds anymore, which may make the blocks shift.  The area around the troughs has been destroyed, too.  Most of the cinders there have been removed.


I've decided that just bird netting isn't going to help with this mess, and besides, I don't have nearly enough netting to keep them out.  I'm thinking that a trip to the local hardware store is needed for more fencing.  

I picture it out about 4 feet from the troughs going back to the other fence. And I'll need to make some sort of gate as I'll also close off the front area. Then, we can... restore the ledge... add more cinders... get things going...

... have chicken for dinner...



No comments:

Post a Comment