Thursday, April 27, 2017

"They're back..." ("Poltergeist*" reference intended)...


Yes, just like the ghosts in the movie, squirrels are haunting my garden.  It seems they did not learn their lesson last time and they've tried to restart the construction project.  Unlike in the movie though, a pile of rocks was again used as a weapon to foil their plans.  I stuffed and stuffed and filled the darned hole. AGAIN!  I hope this is their last try and that they've figured out that this housing project will not result in a cozy home.



Steve was feeling up to a little work on Tuesday so he fixed the sliding pathway around the upper beds.  Between coughs and nose-blowing, he anchored a wall next to the beds for me to walk on.  Corrugated tin, 5 posts, tons of dirt and it's done. We really stomped it down so I hope it lasts.  



My job while he did that was to get compost into the raised beds so he can turn it over when he feels up to it.  Wind made it hard to breathe and I covered my face so as not to get a lungfull in. Getting that chicken waste into the lungs sounds bad.  I've watched Steve after these winds did their number on him, so took NO chances.  Dumped several trugs in.



Wednesday, I worked on the upper beds and troughs which he'd turned over before he really got sick.  I straightened and watered and they are looking good. The broccoli and Brussels Sprouts go into the upper block beds and the squashes go into the troughs.  I just need to get tulle around the upper beds so I can get the plants in soon, as they are a tad late.  They like it cool and cool we've had.



This was yesterday.  Steve went stir-crazy in the house so he turned this bed. It was a smaller job as the strawberries are taking up most of it.  I still need to take the straw off the strawberries so they can get their fertilizer and then get the hose in.



I turned over the small raised bed after adding the compost (notice the oregano that's come back; top corner).  It'll hold the tomato plants.  I put the hoops on the beds and sent Steve back inside to stay well.  Watered everything in and the place is almost ready for planting.  Only one long raised bed still to go.

Now, we need to talk about the summer blog schedule.  I usually go back to 3 times a week about now.  After thinking it over, I've decided that this twice-a-week schedule is working out well.  The posts are longer and there isn't as much new stuff to discuss so I think Monday and Thursday will continue. Hopefully you're ok with that.... thanks...


*“I have not received, nor expect to receive, any compensation for items mentioned in the blog that I like, or may suggest to the viewers.  The items are just something that works/worked for me.  The Irish Lady.”

No comments:

Post a Comment