Monday, April 24, 2017

Wind, wind, go away... come again some other... NEVER!...

I finally decided that Spring is really here as there has been some doubt with all the wind and freezes still at night.  I got to work on the chicken coop...


... by switching out the heated water fount and replacing it with the summer one.  Steve'll be happy with that as he was my "water replacer" during the winter.  I CAN lift the winter one when full, but I CAN'T seem to get to the coop with any water still in it.  It's so HEAVY when full.  This smaller one can hang from a chain even while full, which frees-up coop space, too.  I removed the block support, cleaned the old waterer, added apple cider vinegar and installed the replacement.  Water done... check!

The insulation was removed from the door and windows so now warm spring air can blow through.  Ha!  Right now it's blowing through alright.  We're having what I call "hurricane force" winds (3 DAYS, ugg!), which probably aren't anywhere near hurricane force, but sure seems like it to this former valley dweller.  I STILL blame these winds for Steve's illness.  Anyway, the place was smelling fresher in no time.  Raked out the winter litter and put just a tad new straw in.  I don't think the girls will need extra insulation on the floor for awhile.


Before heading out to the garden I had an epiphany in the kitchen.  I still give the girls scrambled eggs (their's) in the morning to use up a few since Steve and I don't eat anywhere near what they produce.  Sure, I give some away, but trying to free-up space in my Egg Skelters* is still needed.  

Anyway, I would stand there breaking them up after they cooled by using a spatula and stab, stab, stabbing them into smaller pieces.  Then I noticed my hamburger breaker-upper (?) and DING!  It works so well and that made me feel a little sad as it probably means my brain is not getting all the stimulation it needs or I'd have thought if it earlier.


Todays breakfast-of-champions.  Kale, eggs, carrots, lettuce (going brown), sunflower seeds (slightly stale) and a half piece of bread.  I hope they love me.
  

Steve is still under the weather and talking like a frog, but he did push the wheelbarrow full of wine bottles over to the garden for the next stretch of "edging" to be put in.  He dug the trench with a pick blade and we stuffed bottles in quickly so he could go back inside.  You can see that a lot of the cinders for the French drain had been removed by the hens.  I hope they aren't ambitious enough to remove any more once we're done.

Afterwards, he left to take his nap... and recover his voice...


... and I pulled up a box and sifted cinders from pine needles and chicken "compost" and got most of them back over the new fence.  It will take me days to find all of the cinders the girls have spread throughout the garden. Already the place is looking neater.

Did a last check of the garden and noticed another problem the girls caused. I thought I'd just head in and cry (not) but I do think this latest problem will deserve some heavy thinking and maybe some watching of a "Harry Potter"* movie marathon....

... more on that next time...



 *“I have not received, nor expect to receive, any compensation for items mentioned in the blog that I like, or may suggest to the viewers.  The items are just something that works/worked for me.  The Irish Lady.”


No comments:

Post a Comment