Thursday, May 18, 2017

"Dragon" out the Winter?....


For years I've pined for a full-sized dragon to put onto the property but finding one has become a dream not yet fulfilled.  I WAS able to find a smaller version to fit over the driveway sign and finally installed him.  He's very dapper in his climbing gear, right?

It's not a full-sized version, but I have seen a 6 foot dragon in a catalog.  The price has always stopped me from ordering it.  I do want to stay married and that purchase may just push Steve over the edge.  I think I'll just show him the picture next time that catalog shows up and see if we can negotiate a deal...


The potatoes are doing well in their bins and seem to like this new arrangement. I threw straw over the dirt when they were first planted to keep the moisture in. This is the red potato bin and we look to have a good crop.


My russet potatoes from last year... last week...

... and this week.  They are about ready for more dirt...


It's very hard to see but in the picture above this one (of this week's potato bin) the leaves of the potatoes were blackened by frost.  The basil took a bad freeze, too.  I'm thinking of emailing Mother Nature and complaining.  It's Spring, not Winter.  It's the middle of May.  STOP with the freezing already. I've resorted to stuffing cloth into the potatoes at night to keep it from happening again.

The basil and the lone green bean bush to appear are wearing upside-down flower pots at night.  NOT a stylish look, but I hope it helps them make it. 



I think M N heard me and decided to teach me a lesson about respecting my elders.  So, she sent snow last night with a drizzling of rain.  I knew something was coming as my weather app showed it heading down from Flagstaff, where it left even more snow.  Still, I was not prepared for snow. This late!  In SPRING!  From a mother, of all people!!

First thing, I checked the potatoes and other than being wet, they did well. Having to dry the cloth (above) to use tonight, but I believe it will be the thing to do for several more nights.  The flower pots also seemed to have saved what was left of the bean and basil.  I'd put the butternut squash in last post and they were still alive, but drooping.  ARGGG!!!

Will be heading out later to pick up more garden soil.  Since the potatoes in 2 bins are about 5 inches tall, it's time to add more dirt.  I hope to do that 3 times to really extend the potato plants and see if it increases the amount I harvest.

Also, Steve's coming along to pick up those railroad ties to shore-up the upper bed area.  He's measured and walked it and been muttering stuff under his breath about drills, rebar lengths and such...

... so much so, that I'm beginning to worry about him...

... which I do... A LOT....



No comments:

Post a Comment