Monday, May 1, 2017

"If God be for us, how can "weather" be against us?"... ode to Romans 8:31...

Ok, I butchered the above verse, but I just KNEW that all the stuff that happened at the end of last week couldn't last forever.  

Sure we had the tease of great weather last week even though those winds are still here.  They are more pleasant winds now, though.  I felt the need to get the garden going and was well on my way to finishing the prep work.

... time to remove straw from strawberries... 

... noticed some eaten down... seems girls are getting to them...

... straw removed, needles pulled back, fertilized and hose in...

... added tulle around hoop to foil chickens...

Then.... FRIDAY!... Friday went as wrong as a day could...


We woke about 8 in the morning and it was dark.  I think that's why we slept in. I checked the weather app and it only showed weather to the east of us. We looked to stay clear.  At 10:00, it started snowing.  I said a little prayer as we rushed out to cover the strawberries as their flowers are coming out and I didn't want them frozen.  At 11:00, prayer answered as the sun came out and it was 61 degrees, so we headed out to uncover the strawberries.  I'd say we got double garden exercise Friday.

We are now at lovely weather and I'm stepping up the garden work.  Steve, too...



... as he's finally on the mend.  Only had him do half of this bed to see how he did, but it's good to have him back... and healthy.



The blueberries are almost totally leafed out and I'm wondering how long I have before I have to figure out a tulle setup to keep those dreaded Rose Chafers beetles from denuding them again this year.



Tonight's dinner turned out very well.  Someone sent this around Facebook* as hotdog burritos.  Roll a hotdog in a tortilla with some cheddar cheese.  Add a can of chili with beans to the bottom of a baking dish.  Arrange the rolls on top and add another can of chili with beans over the top.  Then just sprinkle on some extra cheese.  Since it's just the two of us, I halved the recipe.  

Next time?... I'll use the 2 cans of chili as it needed the moisture.  Otherwise, it was very good.  Steve said it's now one of his favorites.

Hotdogs and chili, always a crowd pleaser after a day of work...



*“I have not received, nor expect to receive, any compensation for items mentioned in the blog that I like, or may suggest to the viewers.  The items are just something that works/worked for me.  The Irish Lady.”

No comments:

Post a Comment