Monday, May 29, 2017

Memorial Day 2017....

Happy Memorial Day to everyone out there.  Hope your families have gathered and are well. 

Now, to start with... YES!  I blew it on the last post.  In my defense, I DID tell everyone that I suffer from "over 60 senility" and it sure came to the forefront in the last one, didn't it?  I looked at the wrong post date to reference my concerns about Steve (and Roger) and though I talked about the current holiday, I meant the next holiday when talking about the parade.  Sheesh! Now I'm more worried about ME!  

Anyway, I did fix it, so check it again if you're still wondering what the heck I was talking about.

As for the CURRENT holiday (Memorial Day), we have no visitors so things are normal and busy.  

Well, not normal.  I made a breakfast on Saturday that I had forgotten about for a year (60+ again) even though it's one of my favorites...


... of ALL time.  The cheeseball... uh, cheese-log.  Can't believe I haven't made one in so long.  Still, it started the holiday off nicely.  Then, work started since homestead work takes no holidays.


Steve started sanding the tongue and groove siding...
dust EVERYWHERE... it's swirling in this pic...

... and polyurethane started after a thorough vacuuming of dust...

I had work to do in the garden, as always.  It's been warm enough to...




... finally not need covers for some time to come.  This picture is the last of this work, but I do need to thank a lovely woman at the local home store who gave this covering to me when I couldn't find plastic during the last cold snap. The bricks holding it down during the winds are something I'm glad I won't have to move any time soon.  I'm FREE!!



The chickens had figured out how to poke holes in the tulle and get to my strawberries... AGAIN!  As I've said before, these are the most devilish hens EVER!  Steve brought some leftover pieces of rabbit fencing to me the other day and we hooked them to the sides.  Now, let them just try it again!



Here is my crop of carrots growing under their shade boards.  The board still flat on the ground is a new area just planted.  I knew, by researching, that carrot seeds germinate best when they are kept moist and have a board on them. What I just found out by reading attainable-sustainable.net* by Kris Bordessa on Pinterest,* is to keep them shaded by the boards until they are up quite a ways.  It seems to be working.  They are all up about an inch now.

This year I'm growing petite carrots as the long type didn't develop fast enough for me... and they mostly had forked roots last year.  They tasted great, but I didn't like the multiple roots.  These carrots are either round ball-types or very short petite roots and harvestable in a shorter time.  We'll see how they turn out.  May be good, may be bad, but always a lesson to learn.



Today's breakfast was a treat we don't buy often.  If we did we'd weigh more than I'd care to know.  We'll get several days from this box of heaven, though.

We did find out that this wonderful bakery is probably going away.  The owner wants to retire from it and do something not requiring a 2:30 AM start time. I'd say he's correct about that, but we'll sure miss these treats.  Maybe he'll train the buyer, when one shows up?  

I see another... may be good, may be bad... moment...


*“I have not received, nor expect to receive, any compensation for items mentioned in the blog that I like, or may suggest to the viewers.  The items are just something that works/worked for me.  The Irish Lady.”

No comments:

Post a Comment