Thursday, June 8, 2017

... fool me twice, shame on me....

Monday evening I noticed a new hole in the side plastic of one potato bin. Since the fence has been up I figured it wasn't a chicken, so maybe a squirrel had visited?  

I watered and sat for a while and had my explanation given to me. Sunny (devil chicken #1) wandered over to the fence, pushed her weight against it, poked head through and started enlarging said hole.  Ah HA!  Busted!  Sin and sinner, all in one shot.

Put them away for the night, but knew there was work to do.




I pulled some scrap pieces of rabbit fence out and zip-tied sections onto the potato bin fence, thinking "now let her try her devil ways."  I have to say I probably was a little cocky thinking I actually knew something.

Tuesday I went out to the garden to get started on the daily chores.  I'm a late starter so it wasn't until 10:30 AM.  Steve gets up early and lets the hens out, usually around 8:00 AM.  So, I walked out and counted 5 hens waiting at the gate for me.  They fight to be the 1st one there so I wondered where the 6th one was.  Checking the garden and yup, there she is... INSIDE the potato fence.

It was Runt (devil chicken #6) and I had a riddle to solve.  How did she get in there?  The webbing was up and no holes in the fence.  I let her join the others and started on a hunt.  She was in the upper beds at some point because there were droppings all around that area.  She seems to have poked a hole into the west-most trough, too.  The gate was closed, so how?  

I never saw how she did it but it seemed she must've been on a raised bed and flew over.  No other explanation.  They can all fly some, even with clipped wings and there was no other way in.  What to do?

Wednesday, while sitting and contemplating new plans for the garden, it hit me. I'll be needing to add tulle to the hoops to keep the beatles out.  After spending the time to do all that work, the chickens will undo it by pecking holes in the tulle.  How do I keep the chickens from destroying all our work?

"Steve!  We need to fence the chickens out of the garden.  How about we take all the fences in the separate garden areas and move them?"  I received the BIGGEST eye-roll.  But, we did just that and all in one day.  I'm very proud of us.


We pulled out posts and moved the potato fence 1st...
... the timeout fence is also used here...

... the upper bed's fence and gate were moved and a
new line set.  Steve's cutting into the berm...

... we will need a new axe blade after hitting lots of rocks...

So, the chickens can get into their coop, can go all around the run and can use the front area of the garden, but can't get to the beds at all.  Tulle and potato problems solved.  I'll also be pulling the rabbit fencing off the strawberry beds which will make working on them less painful.  I was always getting pricked by lifting the hoop.

I'm feeling pretty smug right now...

... but I'm sure there is devious planning going on in the coop... 

... I can almost hear it....


No comments:

Post a Comment