Monday, July 17, 2017

Chafing to get rid of the Chafers...

What's with the Rose Chafer beetles this year?  We spent a HUGE amount of time (and money) covering as much of the garden as we could because of the HUGE amount of damage they've done for the last two years.  This year?  They only sent a skeleton crew to eat my plants.  

I've counted 5 on the strawberry plants which involved them going under the covered hoop (sneaky devils).  Lots of them have gotten into the blueberry beds but they seem to forget why they crawled in there.  They don't eat because they try to get out and get stuck.  Weird.  Even some of the kales which aren't covered haven't been bothered.

I must see if there is some sort of reason for this... (excuse me while I Google* this).  OK, I'm back and it seems they do run in 2 year cycles.  And unless I want to spend a ton of money, there is really no lures/traps for them.  BUT, I can uncover the garden soon because they are only here to drive me CRAZY for 3 weeks (seemed MUCH longer the last 2 years).  If I'd planted the apple trees I'd thought of adding, well, they'd be toast, but I didn't, so they didn't.  Still, I'll give them another week and then free the garden from its covers.  Yeah!



This was my two zucchini plants last week.  The tomato supports were corralling them in easily.  No beetles landed there either, but for the last 2 years zucchini leaves were attacked.  Hmmm.  Anyway... 



... this is the bed now.  Something had been visiting this bed and finally chewed through the cloth that was supposed to "hide" the plants.  Since they now knew the plants were there I had to secure them better.  Netting is around the plants and staples secure it to the dirt.  After the gnawing of zucchini last year, I'm determined to nip it in the bud.  



Whatever chewed through the zucchini cloth also started holes in the bean, spinach and beet bed.  I believe the netting underneath the cloth foiled them, but what a waste of cloth.  I'm HATING squirrels and rabbits, as it probably has to be one of them.



I'm inordinately proud of my pumpkin trough this year.  It is doing well beyond all hope and even surviving the pests that would try and do it in (only 2 beetles found on the trough).  The plants have gotten so high that the bird netting keeps being raised up and now is probably useless.  At this point I'm just hoping that the netting is a hindrance and an irritation to squirrels, birds and the like. 

There's a HUGE pumpkin in the center of the mess so I'll have to get a good pic of it.  Not a lot going on in the butternut and acorn trough.  The plants are green and lush but only a couple fruit starting.  More later.

The monsoon has made it possible to stop watering, for the time being. Rains almost every day and just this weekend we had a inch.  Thunder is starting now so we'll probably get more.  This is MY time of year... well besides Fall. Cloudy, rainy and cool...  

... everything a "Valley of the Furnace" girl could love...



*“I have not received, nor expect to receive, any compensation for items mentioned in the blog that I like, or may suggest to the viewers.  The items are just something that works/worked for me.  The Irish Lady.”


No comments:

Post a Comment